Saturday, January 12, 2013

I *heart* RVA

the food scene in Richmond is so wonderful. I am reminded again and again how lucky we are to have relationships with local meat and veggie farmers, grocers, and food artisans.

Today at the South of the James Winter Market I visited:

Frog Bottom Farm for beautiful carrots, eggs, and pork chops (they have fantastic brussels right now, too... but I can't eat them too often because they don't always agree with my belly). I also got to see Lisa and Arlo, which is always a joy. There's a gentleness to this family that I'm so grateful for.

Here I am preparing for the first CSA pick up in the summer of 2009
We've been enjoying yummies from Frog Bottom since Arlo, who's now 3, was in utero. When we were still in school, we traded work hours for a CSA share, and I think this was the beginning of my love for locally grown food. Ill be sad to see them leave our part of the country to head for a farm in NY this spring.

back to my market stops... after holding up the line at the Frog Bottom tables, I popped by Crumptown Farm for oh so delicious red russian kale (it's great roasted, in soup, in smoothies, as salad... one of my favorites!)

and Deer Run Farm for beef soup bones.

....THEN! then! THEN...

I went with friends to check out the new grocer in our neighborhood. Little House Green Grocery had lots of local produce, dairy products, breads, meats, and other goodies as well. They even had oyster shucking demos today, but we passed on that due to my shellfish allergies. I'm excited to know that I can find such goodness less than a mile from home.

Y'all, I love this town. LOVE it. Richmond is a place that grows on you slowly, and once it's rooted in you, I think it may never fully let go. I hope you can explore the goodness here some time soon!

Now I'm sitting in our lovely home enjoying the smell of simmering beef broth and roasting carrots, onions, and fennel. Blessings abound. Goodness overflows. I am filled with gratitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment